Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery Procedures
Los Angeles, Pasadena, Covina, Arcadia, & Hollywood, California
For people who are chronically obese, losing weight is the best way to reduce the risk of serious health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. Many obese people turn to bariatric surgery to help them lose weight. Once they are successful, however, they find that they are left with loose folds of excess skin and stubborn fat deposits that cannot be eliminated through diet or exercise. Los Angeles and Pasadena, CA area post-bariatric surgeon Dr. Martin O'Toole performs specialized post-bariatric body contouring surgery to remove residual skin and fat, helping post-bariatric patients enjoy the trim, healthy body shapes they desire.
Candidates for Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery
The best candidates for post-bariatric body contouring are people who have lost a large amount of weight, typically 100 pounds or more, through bariatric surgery or another approach to weight loss. Post-bariatric surgery is one of the most complex and invasive procedures your plastic surgeon can perform, so patients need to be healthy enough to withstand the rigors of major surgery and an extended recovery period.
Additionally, post-bariatric surgery is not primarily a weight loss procedure. Patients do typically lose some weight as skin, tissue, and minor fat deposits are removed. However, good candidates have already lost most of their excess body fat with the exception of a few localized deposits.
Post-Bariatric Treatment Options
Dr. O'Toole tailors his post-bariatric surgery specifically to the unique needs of each individual patient. The post-bariatric procedure combines a number of different individual treatments into an integrated procedure in order to minimize total recovery time. Procedures that may be incorporated into your procedure include:
- Breast Lift – Because the breasts contain a high proportion of fat, weight loss is often accompanied by a loss of breast volume that leaves the breasts saggy and flat. Breast lift surgery restores the breasts to a more youthful position higher on the chest, bringing them into proportion with the rest of the body. For patients who have lost more breast volume than they wanted, breast augmentation is also an option.
- Tummy Tuck – The abdomen is usually one of the main areas where excess fat collects on the body. After weight loss, considerable excess skin may remain here. A tummy tuck trims away this excess skin along with any residual fat deposits. For patients with more far-reaching needs, extended tummy tuck is also available.
- Body Lift – Using incisions that run all the way around the body, Dr. O’Toole performs body lift surgery to tighten and lift the skin of the upper and lower body as needed, creating a more pleasing contour.
- Liposuction – Liposuction is frequently employed in conjunction with various skin removal procedures to target localized deposits of residual fat that have not responded to diet and exercise. In most cases, Dr. O’Toole can perform the treatment through the incisions required for other procedures.
- Thigh Lift – After weight loss, hanging skin is often left on the inner and outer thighs. This skin may rub together, causing irritation or limiting a person's choice of clothing. With thigh lift surgery, Dr. O’Toole can remove this skin using incisions concealed discreetly on the inner thighs.
- Arm Lift – The arm lift procedure is designed to address hanging skin and fatty tissue on the upper arms. In this area, excess skin can be extremely uncomfortable and highly visible, and it may also limit the wardrobe.
- Buttock Lift – The buttocks are another common problem area after significant weight loss. Loose folds of excess skin in this area can make sitting uncomfortable. In a buttock lift, the skin of the buttocks is lifted and tightened to fit the body's new shape more tightly.
Recovering from Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
Because post-bariatric surgery is such a highly involved procedure, you should be prepared for an extended period of rest and recovery. Recovery time varies widely depending on the extent of the procedure, but in general you should be prepared to take multiple weeks away from work, and often full recovery may take several months.
While facing such a recovery period can be daunting, it is important to remember that the only alternative is to undergo a series of procedures and recoveries that may stretch for years. Combining the procedures consolidates recovery into a more manageable timeframe. Most patients and plastic surgeons also agree that this approach produces much better, more natural-looking cosmetic results.
Please contact Pasadena Cosmetic Surgery today to schedule your complimentary post-bariatric plastic surgery consultation. Dr. Martin O’Toole serves patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Covina, Arcadia, and Hollywood, California.
- About Us
- Breast Surgery
- Body Contouring
- Facial Plastic Surgery
- Skin Care Procedures