BOTOX® Cosmetic is the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment available today. These injections offer a safe and effective alternative to traditional surgery for qualifying patients looking to soften the appearance of dynamic lines and wrinkles. Dynamic lines are caused by repeated muscle movements, such as blinking and facial expressions. BOTOX® Cosmetic can also smooth smoker’s lines around the mouth.Schedule a Consultation
How Can BOTOX® Cosmetic Help?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is an injectable that temporarily reduces or eliminates the appearance of moderate to severe crow’s feet, frown lines, and forehead lines. This non-surgical procedure requires periodic maintenance treatments for prolonged results.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is derived from a diluted, safe form of botulinum toxin type A.
- This neuromodulator temporarily paralyzes tiny facial muscles to interfere with contractions that cause wrinkles.
- Dr. O’Toole will examine your skin to determine if and where you would benefit from BOTOX® Cosmetic injections.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is injected through a fine needle into various areas of the upper face.
- The injection temporarily paralyzes the muscles so that they cannot contract.
- The treatment takes only a few minutes and can be repeated every 3 to 6 months.
- Dysport® and XEOMIN® are alternative injectable treatments that smooth lines and wrinkles between the eyebrows.
- Brow lift surgery eliminates lines on the forehead and restores the brows to a more youthful elevation.
- Blepharoplasty surgically removes excess skin and repositions fat pockets in the upper and lower eyelids.
- Facelift surgery reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and skin laxity in the lower two-thirds of the face.
Since BOTOX® Cosmetic is an injection, it does not require the same amount of recovery as a surgical procedure does. Patients can resume all normal activities, including work, immediately following the injection with no downtime. Patients should hold off participating in any strenuous activity, such as playing sports or going to the gym, for at least 24 hours. This will reduce your risk of headache and swelling.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is priced per unit. The cost of your BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment will depend on the number of units you require. You will be provided with a cost estimate during your consultation.
A topical anesthetic may be applied before you undergo your series of BOTOX® Cosmetic injections to minimize any discomfort. You may experience redness, swelling, and numbness at or around the injection site in the following hours and days.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is an injectable treatment that does not involve any incisions or sutures. Since this is non-surgical, there will be no visible scars, regardless of how many treatment sessions you undergo.
The results of your BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment will begin to show within 36 to 72 hours of the injection, and you will notice the increased smoothing of fine lines and wrinkles over the following weeks. Most patients have smoother, tauter, and younger-looking skin for several months.
Q. How long will my BOTOX® Cosmetic results last?
The effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic are temporary and will last for three to six months before the treatment needs to be repeated. Some patients report that results last longer after repeated treatments.
Q. Are there any long-lasting risks and side effects?
Even though BOTOX® Cosmetic is derived from a toxin, it is safe when injected by a licensed professional. Most side effects are temporary, such as redness, tightness, and tenderness; however, there are risks of more severe and longer-lasting side effects. These include:
- Drooping eyelids
- Dry eyes
- Facial asymmetry
- Excessive tearing
- Neck weakness
- Heart palpitations
- Vision problems
- Difficulties speaking, swallowing, or breathing
If you experience any of these conditions, contact your doctor, and seek prompt medical attention.
Q. Besides wrinkles and migraines, are there any other uses for BOTOX®?
The anti-aging benefits of BOTOX® Cosmetic are what directs many patients toward the treatment. That said, BOTOX® can also be used as a treatment for excessive sweating, neck spasms, overactive bladders, lazy eyes, or certain neurological conditions.
Q. Is BOTOX® Cosmetic better than surgery?
BOTOX® Cosmetic may be an appropriate alternative to cosmetic surgery for some; however, many patients with significant aging or skin laxity would benefit more from a surgical procedure. Unlike surgery, BOTOX® Cosmetic cannot address significant skin laxity or remove or reposition fat pockets above or beneath the eyes. With BOTOX® Cosmetic, wrinkles will typically begin to return within three to six months of treatment, whereas the results of surgery are known to last for years.