Mommy Makeover Surgery
The joy of motherhood is indescribable, and many people agree that having children is one of life’s most precious gifts. However, pregnancy and nursing can affect the entire female physique. A woman’s body is often left in havoc after childbirth; the breasts are sagging and deflated, and the abdomen is stretched with excess skin. The body may also be left with stubborn pockets of fat that don’t respond to a healthy diet and exercise routine. A Mommy Makeover can help women who are unhappy with the appearance of their bodies after pregnancy and breastfeeding by combining multiple procedures during one operation. Schedule a consultation at our Pasadena Office.Schedule a Consultation
How Can a Mommy Makeover Help?
Many of the physical changes a woman’s body experiences after childbirth are unable to be corrected through diet and exercise. A Mommy Makeover addresses these stubborn characteristics mothers develop after having children. Depending on what areas of the body a woman would like to address, one or more body contouring surgeries can be performed to help her regain her pre-pregnancy silhouette.
- Can address breast asymmetry, lack of volume, and deflation
- Saline, silicone, or gummy bear (form-stable) breast implants are used to increase the size and improve the shape of the breasts
- Incisions may be made in the crease of the underarms, around the dark skin of the areolas, or under the breasts along the crease where the breast tissue meets the chest
- Implants are inserted behind the chest muscles (submuscular) or above the chest muscles and underneath the breast tissue (subglandular)
- Restores a perky and firm breast appearance
- Sagging breast tissue (ptosis) is removed to lift and reshape the breasts
- The incision type used will be based on the patient’s severity of sagging and correction needed:
- Crescent: In a half moon shape around the upper portion of the areola
- Donut: Two concentric circles around the areola
- Lollipop: Encircling the areola with an additional incision vertically down to the breast crease
- Anchor: Around the areola, vertically down to the breast crease, and along the breast crease
- Reattaches separated abdominal muscles, eliminates sagging and loose skin, and reduces the appearance of stretch marks
- An incision is made from hipbone to hipbone just above the pubic area
- The skin is separated from the underlying tissues, muscles are tightened with sutures, excess skin is trimmed away, and the remaining skin is redraped over the abdomen
- Removes stubborn fat deposits from the legs, buttocks, hips, waist, abdomen, back, arms, and neck
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL) or laser-assisted liposuction (Smartlipo™) is used:
- PAL, or traditional liposuction, involves the use of a small, vibrating wand (cannula) connected to a motorized handpiece that suctions out fat
- Smartlipo™ uses targeted laser energy to break up the fat prior to it being suctioned out through a cannula, making it less invasive than traditional liposuction
After surgery, the operated areas may be bandaged with surgical garments or dressings. Some bruising and swelling are normal and will slowly dissipate throughout the recovery process. Patients are able to return home the day of surgery. It is important that patients refrain from strenuous activities for the first few weeks. Dr. O’Toole will go over specific post-surgical instructions to ensure a safe recovery process.
The cost of a Mommy Makeover is dependent on the extent of the surgery, the procedures being performed, and other factors such as facility and anesthesia fees. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the 2014 average surgeon’s fee for breast augmentation was $3,708, breast lift surgery was $4,377, liposuction was $2,971, and tummy tuck surgery was $5,493.
After surgery, the anesthesia will wear off and patients may experience some minor discomfort. Any pain can be controlled with prescription medication. The operated areas may feel sensitive to the touch, but this feeling will slowly diminish as the body heals.
Depending on the locations of the incisions, scarring will vary. Dr. O’Toole provides the latest techniques and employs his surgical skill to create incisions that are discreet and hardly noticeable. Over time, scarring will fade and become less visible, if detectable at all.
Results from a Mommy Makeover are immediately apparent. Once swelling has subsided and scarring fades, patients will notice their beautifully shaped curves that are flattering to their entire figure.
Q. Who makes a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
The Mommy Makeover is an ideal procedure for mothers who would like to correct the signs of pregnancy, such as sagging breasts or a “pooched” abdomen. It is recommended that patients be finished having children before undergoing Mommy Makeover surgery. Patients should be realistic in their expectations, be in good health, and desire to undergo the surgery for themselves.
Q. What type of anesthesia is used for a Mommy Makeover?
A Mommy Makeover is performed using a general anesthetic and intravenous sedation.
Q. How long do the results of a Mommy Makeover last?
The results from a Mommy Makeover are known to last for many years; however, they are not designed to last a lifetime. A woman’s body can fluctuate based on weight changes, aging, and future pregnancies. To ensure long-lasting results, patients should follow a healthy lifestyle that includes a nutritious diet and exercise regimen.
Q. What are the potential side effects of a Mommy Makeover?
- Poor scarring
- Irregular contours
- Anesthesia risks