While some people are successful losing a large amount of weight through diet and exercise alone, many people require help to lose the initial weight. Bariatric surgery has helped hundreds of thousands of people lose massive amounts of weight to restore their health and improve their appearance. Bariatric surgery is a term for procedures that restrict the amount of food the stomach can hold, and these procedures include gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and adjustable gastric band. These procedures have been proven to help many people kickstart their weight loss and achieve amazing results. While these procedures help patients improve their health and achieve a slimmer physique, there are some physical features that cannot be corrected through calorie restriction and exercise.
Poor Skin and Hair Health
Bariatric surgery limits the amount of food your stomach can hold, so it is up to you to decide what you put in there. During the start of their weight loss, many patients don’t eat the healthy foods required for adequate nutrition. While eating less can help you lose weight, if you don’t get the necessary vitamins and minerals, your overall health can suffer. Without the proper nutrition, may notice poor skin and hair health. In some cases, patients may even experience hair loss. Talk to you doctor and nutritionist to ensure to are receiving your daily values of vitamins and nutrients.
Excess Skin Accumulation
Our skin is like a rubber band; if it is stretched too far and for too long, it becomes incapable of retaining its original shape. Patients who have been overweight for a long period of time or who are obese often find that their bodies don’t bounce back to normal after weight loss. While you may be losing weight, building muscle, and shedding fat, your skin cannot regain its original elasticity. The result is large folds of skin that can be painful and unsightly. For many men and women, this can be discouraging because they cannot naturally achieve the body they always envisioned.
Body Contouring to Improve Your Appearance
Patients who have reached their goal weight and maintained that weight for six months to one year may begin to seek treatments to improve their new appearance. Excess skin accumulations can prevent you from showing off your new, leaner, more defined physique. Ridding your frame of this unwanted skin can help you feel more confident in your transformed appearance. There are various body contouring procedures available to target your specific trouble areas.
- Tummy tuck surgery treats a protruding abdomen. It removes excess abdominal skin and can tighten weak abdominal muscles that may cause a stomach pooch.
- The thigh lift targets unwanted skin along the inner and outer thighs. It eliminates the skin for a slimmer, more toned thigh appearance.
- A buttock lift shapes and tones the buttocks by removing excess skin. For some patients, a buttock lift can create more attractive curvature in the lower body.
- Breast lift surgery is designed for women who experience breast sagging following their weight loss. Breast tissue is lifted and shaped to achieve firmer, perkier breasts.
- An arm lift removes excess skin from along the upper arms. Targeting skin from the armpit to the elbow will help restore a thinner arm appearance.
- Liposuction can be used to treat any area of the body with unwanted deposits of fat. Removing unwanted fat can help improve definition and provide a slimmer appearance.
If you have recently undergone significant weight loss and are not satisfied with your results due to excess skin or stubborn fat deposits, schedule your body contouring consultation with Dr. O’Toole today. Contact our office at (626) 689-7800 or fill out our online contact form for additional information.